What Does Membership Mean?
Becoming a member at McGrawsville United Methodist Church means that we commit to a life of faith in Christ through our prayers, presence, gifts, and service. As members, we commit ourselves to spiritual growth in this community of faith by living out the principles of our Discipleship Process.
Steps to Membership
After prayerful consideration, you decide to make the commitment to become a member of McGrawsville United Methodist Church.
- Adults should call the church office and make an appointment to meet with Pastor Steve Austin.
- Any adult seeking membership should be baptized. The United Methodist Church recognizes baptisms from any Christian denomination. If you have not been previously baptized and would like to be baptized at MUMC, please call the church office at 765-395-7712.
- Upon completion of baptism and the New Member Class, you are invited to make your membership vows in any of our worship services.
Methods of Joining
- Profession of Faith - for those who desire to profess their Christian faith for the first time, or after a long absence from any church involvement. Contact Pastor Steve Austin if you are new to the practice of the faith, or have been away from the church for some time.
- Profession of Faith with baptism - same as above with the sacrament of baptism for those who have never been baptized.
- Transfer from another denomination - for those who have a current church membership in a denomination other than the United Methodist church.
- Transfer from another United Methodist Church - for those who currently have their membership in another United Methodist congregation.
The following are the questions the Pastor will ask during the reception of members at a worship service:
1. Do you renounce the spiritual forces of wickedness, reject the evil powers of this world, and repent of your sin?
2. Do you accept the freedom and power God gives you to resist evil, injustice, and oppression in whatever forms they present themselves?
3. Do you confess Jesus Christ as your Savior, put your whole trust in his grace, and promise to serve him as your Lord, in union with the church which Christ has opened to people of all ages, nations, and races?
4. According to the grace given to you, will you remain faithful members of Christ's holy church and serve as Christ's representatives in the world?
5. As members of Christ's universal church, will you be loyal to The United Methodist Church, and do all in your power to strengthen its ministries?
6. As members of this congregation, will you faithfully participation in its ministries by your prayers, your presence, your gifts, and your service?
Commonly Asked Questions:
Q: Do I have to be baptized to become a member?
A: Yes, any adult seeking membership at McGrawsville United Methodist Church should be baptized. The United Methodist Church recognizes baptisms from any Christian denomination. If you have not been previously baptized and would like to be baptized at MUMC, please call the church office at 765-395-7712.
Q: Can I transfer my membership from another church?
A: Yes, after completion of the New Member Class and taking vows of membership, our membership secretary will request a transfer from your previous church.
Q: When are New Member Classes held?
A: New Member classes are held twice a year or as needed.